Cambridge, MA 02138
A prestigious institution in Cambridge, MA is seeking an Accounting Specialist to join their team. In this contract role, you will provide administrative and financial support and process transactions related to accounts payable, travel expense processing and reimbursements, accounts receivable, or payroll. You will identify and research or escalate issues as well as interact with other members of financial operations or customer service teams, suppliers, or faculty and staff as appropriate. This position pays up to $22+/hr. Apply today!
Responsibilities for the Accounting Specialist:
- Review and validate the tax classification of individuals paid by the institution as resident or nonresident aliens for U.S. tax purposes and confirm their respective eligibilities for tax treaty benefits
- Provide customer service to both foreign nationals themselves as well as to their hosting departments
- Document conclusions in PeopleSoft, Oracle AP, and tax systems
- Understand and apply US tax/immigration law concepts to varied fact patterns is critical to success in this position
- Provide guidance to Harvard departments on financial and tax policies that affect payments to foreign nationals
- Work daily as part of a customer service team assisting non-immigrant aliens in determining tax residency
- Certify select tax treaty forms to be filed with the IRS
- Maintain U. S. tax status data (in PeopleSoft and Oracle AP) as it pertains to foreign individuals who are paid by the institution
- Assist in year-end processing of IRS Form 1042-S
- Responsible for administrative tasks, such as filing and participating in mailings
- Act as backup for other office functions as needed and performs related duties
- Bachelor’ s degree
- Minimum of one year of financial and/or tax office support experience preferably in a customer service environment
- General understanding of 1042-S tax or immigration law or be willing and able to learn relevant material in the first few months on the job
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
- Familiarity with and an ability to input data accurately into both the tax data screens in PeopleSoft and the visa and tax treaty benefit screen in the Oracle AP system are critical to success in this position
- Proficiency in the use of desktop applications (Excel and Word at minimum)
- Ability to speak one or more languages in addition to English a plus
- Strong organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritizing skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with a customer service focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Contract Employee Benefits:
- Health and Dental
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized health and dental insurance coverage upon completion of 120 hours on assignment within four (4) consecutive weeks working a minimum of thirty (30) hours per week.
- Paid Sick Leave
- Contract employees who are employed to work in the Commonwealth of MA may accrue and use up to forty (40) hours of paid sick leave per calendar year in increments of no less than one (1) hour.
- 401(k) Plan
- Regularly recruited contract employees, who are U.S. citizens aged twenty-one (21) or older, are eligible to contribute to KNF&T’ s retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments.
- Short Term Disability
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized short term disability, covering up to 12 weeks of a disability including maternity leave.
- Free Training
- KNF&T uses a state of the art e-Learning software training system. We encourage all our contractors to take advantage of this training, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.