Westford, MA 01886
Working with Network Infrastructure Engineers, the network field technician will perform server deployment and maintenance in our data centers. Deployment and maintenance consists of installing servers and switches in racks; un-racking servers and racking replacements; Ethernet, fiber and power cable wiring; replacing disk drives and memory; and diagnosing simple hardware issues.
The Network Infrastructure organization is responsible for one of the world’ s largest distributed platforms that handles a significant portion of the world’ s Internet traffic. Our Network Infrastructure Engineers build and maintain Akamai’ s worldwide network. You will work closely with field technicians, ISPs, equipment vendors, and internal operations and engineering staff. You will start by helping to remotely diagnose hardware problems, facilitate server repairs, and manage hardware assets. You will work closely with other internal teams in the Network Infrastructure group, translating requirements from network architects, network engineers and design engineers into specific deployment project plans, network designs and network packages. You will work with implementation managers, infrastructure delivery managers and network infrastructure engineers to ensure that these design plans and packages are implemented accurately and efficiently.
* Experience in a data center environment
* Ability to lift 50 -70 pounds and the ability to un-box and move equipment for several contiguous hours / days.
* Proficiency in both English and local language in country of assignment
* Must have reliable transportation. The job requires movement between locations that may not have access to public transportation.
* Must have a laptop, cell phone, driver's license, and a basic set of hand tools.
* Daytime (8 am - 5 pm, M-F) availability is preferred for training
* Night and weekend work may also be required at some points
- Physical racking of equipment (rack prep, rack and stack, switches/routers, cameras)
- Run fiber, power and Ethernet cabling
- Replace disk drives and memory
- Diagnose simple hardware issues
- Box/unbox equipment including breakdown/trash
- Organize packages coming in/out of data center
- Location and processing of Overdue RMAs
- Conduct fiber work (scope, light meter, cleaning)
- Report damage packages to Logistics