Media Relations Associate
Boston, MA 02116
A healthcare organization in Boston, MA is seeking a Media Relations Associate to join their team. In this contract role, you will communicate hospital news externally to the news media and support integrated communication efforts across the Office of Strategic Communication (OSC). The Media Relations Associate will manage local and national broadcast crews as well as members of online and print media outlets, including photographers, producers and reporters, in a hospital environment. Additionally, the position will respond to and execute daily media requests and develop communication materials, including media advisories, press releases, media pitches and media coverage reports. Apply today!
Responsibilities for the Media Relations Associate:
- Develop strategies and communications assets, including media advisories, press releases and media pitches
- Builds strong relationships with clinicians, researchers and staff
- Build strong relationships with reporters and producers in local, regional and national media outlets and regularly pitch story ideas
- Assist in the facilitation of media interviews for experts
- Assist in the coordination of press conferences and other special events as they arise
- Manage reactive requests from local and national media inquiring for expert perspectives on various stories
- Manage the daily media monitoring program and update the online newsroom each morning with links to media coverage
- Produce regular media coverage reports for key internal and external stakeholders
- Review and edit third-party press releases and educates employees and industry partners
- Monitor print, broadcast and online news reports for news trends and potential proactive areas of interest
- Monitor media relations email inbox for internal and external requests
- Assist with answering phone calls to the department’ s main line
- Bachelor’ s degree in communications or journalism
- 2-4 years’ experience in a team-centric, public affairs environment with proven ability in media relations activities; health care experience a plus
- Proficiency in managing media monitoring databases, Microsoft Outlook and Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to develop and manage strategic communication plans with multiple projects and deadlines
- Experience developing communication materials (e.g., press releases, media advisories, pitches, media prep documents, newsletters, reports) for both internal and external audiences
- Ability to effectively communicate scientific ideas in laypeople’ s terms
- Exceptional judgment and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential issues
- Ability to work last-minute media events and some earlier or later than normal business hours if needed
- Ability to travel to company’ s hospitals and off-site locations as well as participate in the department’ s off-hour, on-call rotation
- Strong organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritizing skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Contract Employee Benefits:
- Health and Dental
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized health and dental insurance coverage upon completion of 120 hours on assignment within four (4) consecutive weeks working a minimum of thirty (30) hours per week.
- Paid Sick Leave
- Contract employees who are employed to work in the Commonwealth of MA may accrue and use up to forty (40) hours of paid sick leave per calendar year in increments of no less than one (1) hour.
- 401(k) Plan
- Regularly recruited contract employees, who are U.S. citizens aged twenty-one (21) or older, are eligible to contribute to KNF&T’ s retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments.
- Short Term Disability
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized short term disability, covering up to 12 weeks of a disability including maternity leave.
- Free Training
- KNF&T uses a state of the art e-Learning software training system. We encourage all our contractors to take advantage of this training, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.