Part-Time Library Processing Asst.
Boston, MA 02163
A leading institution in Boston, MA is seeking a Part-Time Library Processing Assistant to join their team. In this contract role, you will provide support for the processing and preservation of analog and born-digital archival and manuscript materials for the library. You will also be responsible for locating, retrieving and re-shelving materials, performing routine clerical tasks and staff the reference or check out desks. The ideal candidate has library and or customer service experience. Apply today!
Responsibilities for the Part-Time Library Processing Assistant:
- Create inventories
- Folder and rehouse materials
- Create disk images of born-digital materials on physical media
- Capture web content via Archive-It
- Review and write description for reformatted audiovisual materials
- Assist in the preparation of collections for public access
Requirements for the Part-Time Library Processing Assistant:
- BA/BS or equivalent, preference given to students currently enrolled in a library science program from an ALA-accredited academic program
- Basic knowledge of nationally-accepted standards and best practices for archival processing and description
- Familiarity with accepted conservation and preservation methods applied to archival and manuscript collections and sensitivity to proper care and handling of special collections
- Demonstrated experience with library information systems and familiarity with creating finding aids using Encoded Archival Description (EAD), preferred
- Must be able to regularly lift 40 lbs
- Technology savvy with a strong knowledge working with Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational skills with great attention to detail, including legible handwriting
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritizing skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Contract Employee Benefits:
- Health and Dental
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized health and dental insurance coverage upon completion of 120 hours on assignment within four (4) consecutive weeks working a minimum of thirty (30) hours per week.
- Paid Sick Leave
- Contract employees who are employed to work in the Commonwealth of MA may accrue and use up to forty (40) hours of paid sick leave per calendar year in increments of no less than one (1) hour.
- 401(k) Plan
- Regularly recruited contract employees, who are U.S. citizens aged twenty-one (21) or older, are eligible to contribute to KNF&T’ s retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments.
- Short Term Disability
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized short term disability, covering up to 12 weeks of a disability including maternity leave.
- Free Training
- KNF&T uses a state of the art e-Learning software training system. We encourage all our contractors to take advantage of this training, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.