Technical Services Assistant (Library)
Cambridge, MA 02163
A prestigious institution in Cambridge, MA is seeking a Technical Services Assistant to join their team. In this contract role, you will perform copy cataloging of print material. Other duties may include reviewing and processing donations, cataloging backlogs, data cleanup and enhancement, and importing and updating metadata for working paper collection. Apply today!
Responsibilities for the Technical Services Assistant:
- Provide reference and research services to a library special collection or archives
- May assist a library archivist with routine or time-sensitive requests from scholarly researchers or departments
- Work with the reference librarians to support public services and maintain library collections
- Consult various reference tools to determine which collection is most appropriate to fulfill the user's research objectives
- Determine proper response to user questions and when appropriate, clearly communicates information to the user
Requirements for the Technical Services Assistant:
- College degree, MLS required
- One year reference and research experience, preferably in a special collections or archival environment
- Familiarity with RDA, LCSH, LC classification and the MARC 21 format (bibliographic and holdings) preferred
- Experience working with confidential records
- Technology savvy with a strong knowledge working with Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritizing skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a customer service focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Contract Employee Benefits:
- Health and Dental
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized health and dental insurance coverage upon completion of 120 hours on assignment within four (4) consecutive weeks working a minimum of thirty (30) hours per week.
- Paid Sick Leave
- Contract employees who are employed to work in the Commonwealth of MA may accrue and use up to forty (40) hours of paid sick leave per calendar year in increments of no less than one (1) hour.
- 401(k) Plan
- Regularly recruited contract employees, who are U.S. citizens aged twenty-one (21) or older, are eligible to contribute to KNF&T’ s retirement savings plan with Fidelity Investments.
- Short Term Disability
- Contract employees are eligible for subsidized short term disability, covering up to 12 weeks of a disability including maternity leave.
- Free Training
- KNF&T uses a state of the art e-Learning software training system. We encourage all our contractors to take advantage of this training, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.